To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han: Book Review

cover from Goodreads


Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Published: April 22, 2014 by Simon & Schuster
Copy: Paperback

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.






To All the Boys I've Loved Before was a quick yet fun read. I finished reading this while waiting for Jenny Han at her book signing event. Haha!

At first, I was not sure if I like it because I find the Lara Jean-Josh-Margo thing really weird. However as I read on, it became more enjoyable (at least for me).  :)

The Song sisters are far different from each other but their relationship is something special and valuable. Despite the misunderstandings between them (and they have a lot!), love prevails. I really admire them for that.

Josh is this sweet, nice guy that everybody loves. He is an integral part of the story. However, I wished it didn't have to be so complicated. (No spoilers. Don't worry.) I see him as a brother figure and I really really wish for him to stay that way.

Peter Kavinsky, on the other hand, is very interesting. He has a "reputation" to maintain, being this beautiful guy, a lacrosse player and all. But he is more than that. I think his character development was quite modest?  I feel like I needed to know more. Uhm, yeah. Haha! :)

As for Lara Jean, I think I can somehow relate to her. How she has a poor sense of direction. How she overthinks. And how she values the opinion of others even though oftentimes it doesn't matter. I think her realization at the end of the book is a step towards her development, so I'm looking forward to the second book. :)

To All the Boys I've Loved Before is about friendship, family, and of course, love. Being inexperienced in the matters of the heart, Lara Jean is in a complicated position as she is trying to understand her feelings. Not to mention the additional responsibility given to her and her adjustments in other aspects of her life.

So as I've said, it was an enjoyable read. I liked the style of writing and how the characters were written and connected to one another without the whole story being too much. It's definitely a must-read. :)

The second book will be out next year! Ugh! I can't wait! :)



That's all folks!