Jesus, Jihad, and Peace by Michael Youssef: ARC Review

cover from Goodreads
Title: Jesus, Jihad, and Peace: A Prophetic Vision for the Middle East
Author: Michael Youssef
Publication details: February 17th 2015 by Worthy Publishing (first published October 14th 2014)
Copy: e-ARC through NetGalley

We live in a world changed forever by 9/11—a world still very dangerous, where Westerners in general, and Christians in particular, remain targets of terrorism. People are wondering: What next? Is there any hope for peace in the world? Or is terror our destiny?

Bible-believing Christians have even more questions: What does the threat of Islamic extremism mean in terms of Bible prophecy? What do today’s turbulent events in Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Syria, Iran, Iraq, and Russia mean in prophetic terms?

Youssef provides answers that are concise, biblically accurate, and targeted on the challenges that confront us in a world that is increasingly fraught with peril. We must seek to understand who is attacking us, how these trends fit into the flow of prophetic history, and how we should respond.

I read God, Just Tell Me What to Do by the same author, and I loved that book! I was inspired and I learned a lot from reading that. Thus, when I saw Jesus, Jihad and Peace on Net Galley, I immediately requested for access.

In his new book, Jesus, Jihad and Peace, the Michael Youssef talks about the difference between Islam and Christianity. Though the subject matter is deep and serious, the discussion in the book was written such that it is easy to understand; and the flow of information was sequenced such that the points are easy to grasp. Starting from a brief background of Islam, the discussion then slowly makes way to the core of Islam faith, quoting the Koran and some statements made by their notable leaders. He then compares Islam with Christianity, emphasizing how different the two are from each other, as well as giving some misconceptions most people have.

Personally, it was kind of scary reading through the book, knowing what's really happening in our world, but I couldn't stop. I wanted to know. I wanted to know how everything is connected. I wanted to know and understand what the Bible says about the subject matter.

I liked the section about the delays and the spiritual battle. I especially loved the appeal in the last chapter- how we can have divine peace through Jesus, and how we can choose to surrender everything to God for us to experience divine peace. I was really inspired by that.

I know that for some people this book will have a negative impact, that some will be offended. But I believe that Michael Youssef wrote this book in good faith. I believe that he wrote this book out of love for the people, both Christians and non-Christians. Let me quote the author's Preface:

"Throughout this book, I have tried to distinguish between Islamic ideology and Muslims as people. I have many dear friends and acquaintances who embrace Islam. While I risk being criticized for my sociological, economic, political, and religious assessments of Islam, my ardent desire is that no one misunderstand my genuine affection and appreciation for Muslim people.


Yet the fact that I, as a Christian, understand Islam to be a false worldview does not mean I look down on Muslim people in any way. On the contrary, I am compelled by my love for Muslim people. I feel a deep burden for them, and I humbly yearn for them to know the fullness of life that comes only through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."

-o-

I am a Christian. Therefore, everything discussed makes perfect sense to me. If there's anything this book made me, it is that I want to be more ready, to be more Christ-like. Even before I read Jesus, Jihad and Peace, I already believe that the we are in the last days. But this book strengthened my conviction to be a good Christian, to live a life of love.

-o-

Jesus, Jihad, and Peace may have a sensitive subject, especially now that terrorism is making the news all over the world. However, I do recommend this book not only to Christian and to all those wanting the truth about the last days, but most especially to all those wanting peace that surpasses human understanding.



Source: Harvest House

Michael Youssef received theological degrees from Moore College in Australia, Fuller Theological Seminary in California, and a PhD in social anthropology from Emory University. He traveled around the world on behalf of the Haggai Institute, speaking to thousands of leaders. In 1987 he founded The Church of the Apostles in Atlanta, Georgia, which served as a platform for Leading the Way’s international television and radio ministry, where Dr. Youssef is heard daily by millions at home and in over 190 countries (Source: Harvest House).