Friday, May 22, 2015

Feature & Follow #10: How I Write Book Reviews

Hi folks!
Happy Friday!


Feature and Follow Friday is a weekly meme hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. It is where we, book bloggers, can meet new people and gain followers as well!

-o-

This week's question is suggested by Blue Books and Butterflies.

How do you write your reviews?

I'm planning to write a separate discussion post about how I write my reviews, but I guess I'll do a summary here. Haha!

First, I am, in no way, a professional writer so my reviews are not very organized and I do commit mistakes. Haha! I write reviews simply because I love sharing my thoughts about the books I read.

It usually takes me 2-3 drafts before I post the final one. Haha! My book review is divided into sections: Book description, book summary (mostly from Goodreads), the review proper and about the author section.

The book review proper, also called My Thoughts, is composed of, well, my thoughts about the book's plot, world-building (if any), characters and the writing style of the author. At the end is a conclusion and my rating for the book. For non-fiction, I usually write a review based on what I learned from the book, how relevant the theme/topic of the book is to my life, the author's writing style and then a conclusion.

I'm not sure how I do in the "reviewing" department. But I feel happy when people tell me that they like my review. Haha!

That's all folks! How do you write your reviews?

-o-

PS. I'm always open for constructive criticism of my blog content, so don't hesitate to comment or send me an e-mail. I want to improve this blog and be an avenue of bookish love! :)

13 comments:

  1. I write about the same themes you do, but I've noticed I tend to focus a lot on characters because to me they can either make or break a book.
    New bloglovin' follower :)

    Joana @ The Boundless Book List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, I focus a lot on characters too, especially when I really love them or really dislike them. Haha!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Sorry, messed up on my link. Here's the right one: The Boundless Book List

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping through. Wow! 2-3 drafts! That is impressive. I wish i was that diligent. I bet that really helps make your reviews better and surely would for mine too.
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help actually. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. You seem so organized! I wish I was that good!

    Lizzie @ lizziethesarcasticblonde.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Because sometimes, I don't feel like it. Haha! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm such a perfectionist that it takes me a while to think of what to write and then I just hope that I can get it down the way I had it in my head.

    My FF: http://onceuntold.blogspot.com/2015/05/feature-follow-friday-writing-reviews.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. If only I could share what's really in my head. Haha! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Your so organized!! Definitely more professional then I am. I suck at grammar and I have no set format. I just wing it.

    Nice response, new GFC follower

    Maura @ Monsterofbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes time to improve. :) I'm not that good in writing my reviews either, but hey, it's all about sharing our thoughts about books.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm a fledgling book reviewer! I'm glad to find out a lot of bloggers get their synopses from Goodreads! I was curious about that! :)

    New follower on Google+! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, sometimes, find it difficult to give a summary without giving away spoilers. But if I could, I write my own summary. :) Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Contact Me

For inquiries and review requests, send me an e-mail at: aizel.onepageatatime@gmail.com or aizelcamillemacaldo@gmail.com
09 10