The Shelter of God's Promises by Sheila Walsh: Book Review

Title: The Shelter of God's Promises
Author: Sheila Walsh
Publication Details: January 30th 2011 by Thomas Nelson
Copy: Paperback bought from MV Logos Hope
Genre: Christian, Non-fiction


Where do you turn for shelter in the worst storms of life?
You know God’s promises, but are they for you, are they for now, are they for this? If you look to your circumstances alone, it may seem that God has forgotten you. But He hasn’t. He can’t. And He wouldn’t even if He could. God is the only promise maker who is always a promise keeper. And God’s promises will never fail you!
In The Shelter of God’s Promises, gifted Bible teacher and inspiring Women of Faith speaker Sheila Walsh searches Scripture for what God has promised us, what God’s promises mean, and how encounters with Christ are the eternal fulfillment of His unrelenting commitment to us. Through vulnerable storytelling, new insights, and an in-depth Bible study, Sheila offers powerful, heart-filled teaching on ten bedrock promises of God, providing the foundation for daily confidence, joy, hope—and shelter.

An inspiring read reminding me of God's promises and blessings.

The Shelter of God's Promises is divided into 10 main chapters, sans Introduction. In each chapter the author tackles one God's promise, sharing to the readers a part of herself through her experiences, and Biblical examples and verses. There are also excerpts from other authors which helped in strengthening the lesson. I actually kept a lot of tabs that will surely help me in the future.


I also liked that the author included etymologies of some word, and how they are used in relation to the study of the Bible. Here are a few examples:


Example 1: Sent- from Hebrew word apostellein, meaning official representation.


Example 2: Basket- from the Greek word kophinos, meaning a large carrying basket.


Example 3: Tired- from the Greek word kopio or kopos, meaning a state or condition after being physically beaten up.

-o-

The Shelter of God's Promises reminded me greatly that God's promises are always reliable and true. It was really inspiring and heart-warming, knowing what God did for us and that His love is so great. It was an overwhelming reading experience, for it reminded me that God got me covered, that I am safe, and that He has plans for me. (There's actually one part where I got really emotional. And I was reading in the bus at the time!)

I have yet to read/use the Bible Study part but I'm looking forward to using it in my study and share it to others as well. And I will definitely reread this soon.




Sheila Walsh is a powerful communicator, Bible teacher, and best-selling author with more than 4 million books sold. A featured speaker with Women of Faith, Sheila has reached more than 3.5 million women by artistically combining honesty, vulnerability, and humor with God's Word.