The Last Star by Rick Yancey: Book Review

Title: The Last Star
Author: Rick Yancey
Series: The 5th Wave #3
Publication Details: May 24th 2016 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers



The enemy is Other. The enemy is us.

They’re down here, they’re up there, they’re nowhere. They want the Earth, they want us to have it. They came to wipe us out, they came to save us.

But beneath these riddles lies one truth: Cassie has been betrayed. So has Ringer. Zombie. Nugget. And all 7.5 billion people who used to live on our planet. Betrayed first by the Others, and now by ourselves.

In these last days, Earth’s remaining survivors will need to decide what’s more important: saving themselves… or saving what makes us human.

Plot
Fast-paced and thrilling (quite so 😀).

There was a big time gap following the last scenes of The Infinite Sea, so I was at loss for a while during the first few chapters. But as I went through my reading, things got clearer and I was able to follow again the story line.

I also noticed while the first two books have a lot of serious notes, this third book loss some of the seriousness and became funny and quite cheesy. For some parts, I was okay with it as it made my reading experience quite lighter but as I've mentioned it also took away the seriousness of the condition they were in.

I did not expect the ending though. I kept on expecting some other characters to die, but not this particular one. I may or may not have shed a tear or two. lol

The Last Star is an open-ended story. I liked that the author recognized that there are a lot of possibilities after that major incident. I also think it's a realistic one, so I was okay with the open ending.

Characters
I found the characters interesting in the first two books, but in The Last Star they just became a so-so for me. There were character developments but I find them too cliché.

-o-

Overall, The Last Star was a so-so for me. I did enjoy the first two books, but this third one came short for me. Nevertheless, it was still an enjoyable read.

Note: Click here for The 5th Wave book review. I was not able to review The Infinite Sea. 😑



Rick is a native Floridian and a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago. He earned a B.A. in English which he put to use as a field officer for the Internal Revenue Service. Inspired and encouraged by his wife, he decided his degree might also be useful in writing books and in 2004 he began writing full-time.

Since then he has launched two critically acclaimed series: The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp, for young readers, and The Highly Effective Detective, for adults. Both books are set in Knoxville, Tennessee, where Rick lived for ten years before returning to Florida.