Friday, June 27, 2014

ARC Review: Relaxing with God: The Neglected Spiritual Discipline by Andrew Farley

cover from Goodreads
Title: Relaxing with God: The Neglected Spiritual Discipline
Author: Andrew Farley
Publication Details: July 1, 2014 by Baker Books
Copy: ARC eBook from NetGalley

From Goodreads:

Jesus called his followers to exchange the heavy yoke around their necks for his light one. So why are so many Christians feeling weighed down and burned out? The simple answer is that they are being told from many pulpits across the country what they "should be" doing for God.

Bestselling author Andrew Farley calls this for what it is--works-based religion--and then shares with readers biblical wisdom on the neglected art of resting in Christ. Anyone longing to experience true release from the crushing expectations that the world throws their way will find life and rest in Farley's revolutionary message.




-o-
My thoughts:

Relaxing with God is a refreshing read. In a world where religiosity is everywhere, this book presents a pretty radical ideas but nevertheless, Bible-based.

At first, I was having a hard time grasping what the author's trying to say. And I was like, hey so it's okay to sin? But of course, it's not about that. It's all about connecting with Jesus. I think it's more on redirecting our focus on who really matters, resting in Him and trusting His saving grace.

Basically, it tells us this: believers are saved because of Jesus. Because of His love, we are redeemed of our sins. We are of new spirit. Thus, it follows that sin must no longer be in our lives. We must live in union with Jesus Christ.

-o-
Though the subject matter is serious, I liked that the author has injected humor in delivering the topics, making the learning "session" enjoyable and less dragging. He also used some analogy for difficult-to-grasp concepts which is very helpful.

Back-upped with Bible verses, one can easily refer to the Bible and do further understanding. However in reading this book, one has to access all the lessons, teachings, principles, every knowledge one has gained with regards to faith and Christianity. There were a lot of information, so I think note-taking will be helpful.

It also has a chapter about money and tithing which, I think, are important concerns especially in our world today where money doesn't really come that easy. 

I also liked how the different ways of relaxing with God were sectioned. It made my reading organized and the information "downloading" easier. There's also a seven-part study experience at the end of the book which can help if one wishes to study more on the different topics.

-o-
My rating is 0.5 short because it took me a really long time to finish the book. Haha! I guess, there were just too many information, and some were quite radical, that digesting them may require time.

Overall, I recommend this book especially for those finding themselves in the midst of tiring "religiosity" that they lose focus on the true faith that is in Jesus Christ. :)

2014-05-23 20.01.20
2014-05-23 19.53.34

That's all folks!

PS: I am yet to research about the author. Haha!

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this now also. Farley teaches that we stop trying to please God, and it's true, God's Word says we can only please God in our faith. Implied in that is the notion that as for our salvation, also for every other need we need to rest in God's provision. I do believe in cultivating edifying habits, like reading the Word every day, or giving to the spread of the gospel, and prayer often, but there is a line between doing those things because we want to grow in God or doing them because we begin to think we will fall out of Grace if we don't! That's religion. So if nothing else the book has made me examine my motivations carefully. That in itself encourages me to rest ONLY in His work on the cross for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Only Jesus can save us, not our own efforts and deeds.

      It's been a while since I read this book. I think I'm going to have to reread this soon. :)

      Delete