Harp's Song by Cassie Shine: Book Review

cover from Goodreads
Title: Harp's Song
Author: Cassie Shine
First Published: November 4th 2013
I got my request approved by the publisher (through NetGalley) last May 10 and I was really excited to read it. It was my first ARC approval!



In just a few months Harp Evans will be officially coming of age and graduating from high school. She will be free from the mother that never wanted her, the house that never felt like home, and the disappointment of the last seventeen years. What she doesn’t know is that her mother has been holding onto a secret that has the potential to derail her dreams and destroy her already faulty sense of self.

A self-proclaimed recluse, Harp spends most of her time practicing the cello, in the hopes of earning a full scholarship that will grant her freedom, but will also send her away from her best friend Connor Williams, who is becoming more than just a friend.

As revelations are made, will Harp still feel the same way about leaving everyone that cares about her behind? Or will she continue to pursue the life she’s been dreaming of, for as long as she can remember?


It was a short read but the message was conveyed really well. The way it was written made it impossible not to feel for Harp. I found myself smiling, and then frowning and then smiling again while reading. It was beautiful.

The supporting characters were also great- Ethan, Emma and Catherine. Though, I wished to see more of Emma. She's a really nice person. And of course, there's Connor. Again for the nth time, I do wish I have a Connor in my life.

Anyway, I would totally recommend Harp's Song! I can't wait to read its sequel: Harp's Voice.