Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo and Sonja Burpo: Book Review

cover from Goodreads

Title: Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
Authors: Todd Burpo and Sonja Burpo (with Lynn Vincent)
Published: November 2, 2010 by Thomas Nelson Publishers


When Colton Burpo made it through an emergency appendectomy, his family was overjoyed at his miraculous survival. What they weren't expecting, though, was the story that emerged in the months that followed--a story as beautiful as it was extraordinary, detailing their little boy's trip to heaven and back.

Colton, not yet four years old, told his parents he left his body during the surgery-and authenticated that claim by describing exactly what his parents were doing in another part of the hospital while he was being operated on. He talked of visiting heaven and relayed stories told to him by people he met there whom he had never met in life, sharing events that happened even before he was born. He also astonished his parents with descriptions and obscure details about heaven that matched the Bible exactly, though he had not yet learned to read.

With disarming innocence and the plainspoken boldness of a child, Colton tells of meeting long-departed family members. He describes Jesus, the angels, how "really, really big" God is, and how much God loves us. Retold by his father, but using Colton's uniquely simple words, "Heaven Is for Real" offers a glimpse of the world that awaits us, where as Colton says, "Nobody is old and nobody wears glasses."

"Heaven Is for Real" will forever change the way you think of eternity, offering the chance to see, and believe, like a child.

Heaven is for Real is about Colton Burpo who experienced heaven when he was three years old. Authored by his parents, it tells of their experience, as a family, before and after Colton's visit to heaven.

This book touched my heart. I cried in some parts because of how God spoke to me. The Burpo's story was very beautiful and touching. I cried because I was overwhelmed by God's message- how powerful prayers are, how forgiving God is, and how He loves me so dearly.

I was reminded of how undeserved I am of His love and mercy but still He supplies me with them. I was reminded to be still in tough times and seek for His voice and comfort. I was reminded to have a childlike faith. I was reminded that He is always there. I was reminded that the good always wins.

It was a very beautiful story, something I will reread in the near future. My words will not give justice to what I felt, to what I experienced. Read the book and experience it yourself.