Now I See You: A Memoir by Nicole C. Kear: ARC Review

cover from goodreads
Title: Now I See You: A Memoir
Author: Nicole C. Kear
Publication details: June 24, 2014 by St. Martin's Press
ISBN: 1250026563



At nineteen years old, Nicole C. Kear's biggest concern is choosing a major--until she walks into a doctor’s office in midtown Manhattan and gets a life-changing diagnosis. She is going blind, courtesy of an eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa, and has only a decade or so before Lights Out. Instead of making preparations as the doctor suggests, Kear decides to carpe diem and make the most of the vision she has left. She joins circus school, tears through boyfriends, travels the world, and through all these hi-jinks, she keeps her vision loss a secret.

When Kear becomes a mother, just a few years shy of her vision’s expiration date, she amends her carpe diem strategy, giving up recklessness in order to relish every moment with her kids. Her secret, though, is harder to surrender - and as her vision deteriorates, harder to keep hidden. As her world grows blurred, one thing becomes clear: no matter how hard she fights, she won’t win the battle against blindness. But if she comes clean with her secret, and comes to terms with the loss, she can still win her happy ending.

Told with humor and irreverence, Now I See You is an uplifting story about refusing to cower at life’s curveballs, about the power of love to triumph over fear. But, at its core, it’s a story about acceptance: facing the truths that just won't go away, and facing yourself, broken parts and all.


I loved it! I don't read memoirs as much because I'm afraid I might find them boring and dragging, but not Nicole's memoir, Now I See You.

I really liked her style of writing. I did not find any boring parts at all. Despite her RP and inner struggles, she was hopeful. Yes, she was in denial for a long time, but her love for her children won. The fact that she was able to write her story in a light manner made me admire her. She's humorous and very inspiring.

I also liked her grandma and mother. They're funny! Haha! And of course, David is so sweet and supportive. I do wish them the best.

What Nicole's life taught me was to never let fear interfere, to make memories while I still can. And most of all, it taught me to trust others, especially the ones closest to me.

So, will I recommend this book? Yes! Definitely!