Where the Road Takes Me by Jay McLean (ARC): Book Review

cover from Goodreads
Title: Where the Road Takes Me
Author: Jay McLean
Publication details: February 10th 2015 by Skyscape
Copy: e-ARC from NetGalley

Chloe has one plan for the future, and one plan only: the road. She’s made a promise to herself: don’t let anyone in, and don’t let anyone love her. She’s learned the hard way what happens if she breaks her rules. So she’s focused on being invisible and waiting until she can set out on the road—her dream of freedom, at least for a little while.

Blake Hunter is a basketball star who has it all—everything about him looks perfect to those on the other side of his protective walls. He can’t let anyone see the shattered pieces behind the flawless facade or else all his hopes and dreams will disappear.

One dark night throws Chloe and Blake together, changing everything for Blake. For Chloe, nothing changes: she has the road, and she’s focused on it. But when the so-called perfect boy starts to notice the invisible girl, they discover that sometimes with love, no one knows where the road may lead.

When I read the synopsis, I thought that it sounded pretty much the same as other contemporary romance novels. I don't remember why I added this to my reading list, but thankfully, I did. I'm not really a fan of New Adult genre, but I really enjoyed reading this book.

First that got me was the Prologue and this "change" thing I was really curious about. Then came the first two chapters, where Chloe and Blake's chemistry is undeniable. It's just too strong. Haha!

I also liked how Chloe's life is a mystery in the beginning. The first few chapters were told in Blake's POV so like him, I really wanted to know who Chloe really is and what she is dealing with. Chloe's POV in the later chapters did not give much information though. But I liked how her story slowly builds up. Along with hers is the slow unwrapping of Blake's background.

It's crazy thinking what they're experiencing at a very young age, but I loved how strong Chloe and Blake are. Each has their own struggles, but they fight them together. I liked how Chloe is trying to fight her choices, and then commit to change not only for the people she loves, but also for herself. And I liked how Blake is willing to sacrifice for Chloe. Oh, young love! (Haha!)

There are a lot of things going on in this book, not only in the main characters' lives but also the supporting ones. But even so, I did not find it slow and overwhelming. I actually liked how the author also gave focus to the supporting characters. They weren't in-depth but the glimpses were enough to know their stand and to know their love for Chloe and Blake. I just loved their relationship with each other. There's so much love and support. Aaah!

Two other things that inspired me were the red-letter concept and the magnetic quote thing. For me, they emphasized the message of the book more. And it really, really made me want to have my red-letter person/day, my unexpectedly phenomenal one. *sigh* :)

-o-

And folks, I read Where the Road Takes Me in one sitting! I just couldn't stop reading. Given I wasn't too keen on some parts, especially on the last half of the book, due to personal reasons/ principles, but overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was easy to read, the flow was really smooth, and it was really inspiring.

Where the Road Takes Me is not only about love and relationship, but is also about making choices and change. Sometimes, we need someone to have that change we wanted so much to happen. That change, though difficult, is not too bad especially when faced together with the people we love.



from: Goodreads
Jay McLean is the author of the More Series, including More Than This, More Than Her, More Than Him and More Than Forever. She also has two standalones- Where The Road Takes Me and Combative.

Jay is an avid reader, writer, and most of all, procrastinator. When she's not doing any of those things, she can be found running after her two little boys, or devouring some tacky reality TV show.

She writes what she loves to read, which are books that can make her laugh, make her smile, make her hurt, and make her feel (Source: Goodreads).