The Compass by Tammy Kling and John Spencer Ellis: Book Review

Title: The Compass
Authors: Tammy Kling and John Spencer Ellis
Publication Details: June 2nd 2009 by Vanguard Press (first published January 1st 2009)
Copy: Paperback [purchased]


A story about forgiveness and moving on.

Months after the accident, Jonathan is lost and broken. Unsure of his identity and future, he then sets out on a journey to be away from his family and old life.

With no direction and plans, Jonathan will unexpectedly meet people, strangers, that will help him understand life and will consequently bring reconciliation of his past and future (own blurb).

Blurb from Goodreads, click here.

I bought this book at the National Bookstore Warehouse Sale about a year (or two) ago, but never had the chance (or mood) to read it until recently when I went to Subic. And I'm glad I finally read this!

Plot
I was immediately sucked into the story. I liked that it was fast-paced; and Jonathan's adventures are spontaneous. My reading never got boring and it felt like every scene points out a lesson.

From the desert of Nevada to the mountains of Adirondacks, village of Romania and the streets of Holland, I was able to travel with Jonathan and get insights about living life aligned with our inner compass.

The details about the accident were not given. It was one-sided but I think it kind of helped me relate to Jonathan more.

Characters
Jonathan seems to have everything- a lovely family, a stable career, and a good place in their social circle. So when everything he knew went down the drain and life became meaningless, he too lost his place in the world.

As I've mentioned, I was able to relate to Jonathan. Like him, I can sometimes be too focused on worldly things and lost track of what living really is. I was able to learn with him and be reminded of the important things, of the things that really matter.

Writing
I was not 100% amazed by the writing but it's okay nevertheless. I liked that I was able to get a lot of reminders and inspiration from the book. And I liked the spontaneity and that I was able to feel like I traveled with Jonathan.

I don't know the writing arrangements of the two authors, but the transition between their writing is okay, if not almost smooth. I also liked that at the end of the book, there's a guide for readers, if one wants to have a journey toward self-discovery.

-o-

The Compass is an inspiring story about a man's journey toward forgiveness not only of others but also of oneself, and of moving on despite the dark past.

If you want an insightful read, but with elements of adventure and travel, then I definitely recommend The Compass.


Tammy Kling is an international author, humanitarian, and literary coach who helps guide world changers to create projects that transform. Her books have been translated into several languages and her work has been featured in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Dateline NBC, Extra, and Primetime 20/20 among others. The clarity of her life's purpose is to write books that change lives.

Jonathan Spencer Ellis is an internationally-recognized personal development and wellness expert. Aside from holding four degrees, John is a philanthropist, professional speaker, and educator. He is the CEO of the Spencer Institute for Life Coaching and the National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association. John is the creator and executive producer of The Compass movie.

(Source: Inner back cover)