Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson: Book Review

Title: Steelheart
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: The Reckoners #1
Publication Details: September 24th 2013 by Delacorte Press
Copy: Bought from Powerbooks


Ten years ago, Calamity came. It was a burst in the sky that gave ordinary men and women extraordinary powers. The awed public started calling them Epics. But Epics are no friend of man. With incredible gifts came the desire to rule. And to rule man you must crush his wills.

Nobody fights the Epics...nobody but the Reckoners. A shadowy group of ordinary humans, they spend their lives studying Epics, finding their weaknesses, and then assassinating them.

And David wants in. He wants Steelheart — the Epic who is said to be invincible. The Epic who killed David's father. For years, like the Reckoners, David's been studying, and planning — and he has something they need. Not an object, but an experience.

He's seen Steelheart bleed. And he wants revenge.


I first started reading an e-book copy of Steelheart last year, but then I stopped after the first chapter because I wanted to buy a physical copy and have a "full reading experience". I never read it immediately though, but I should have. I should have.

Plot
Steelheart is a refreshing, action-packed read.

From the beginning up to the end, the pacing and amount of action were sustained. The story started with little knowledge about the Epics and their powers, but I liked how enough information were given without info overload. I loved the turn of events and I was fascinated by how things are connected, giving way to answers.

The plot was also unpredictable, making it a page-turner and more enjoyable to read. And also, that plot twist toward the end that I really didn't see coming.

While the ending has a very good resolution, it is also open to a lot of possibilities and paths that make the second book more intriguing.

Plot-wise, I loved Steelheart and I can't wait to continue with the trilogy.

Characters
David, the main character, is funny, determined and very bad at metaphors. I enjoyed reading about him, and following the story in his perspective.

The Reckoners in general are very cool. I have a lot of questions about them, especially after the revelation in the end. I'm really looking forward to having more adventures with them.

Writing
I really liked the author's style of writing. Though told in a limited view (first person, in David's POV), I had an enjoyable reading experience because it felt like I was figuring out the Epics and planning strategies with the characters. Also, despite the technical terms used by the author, it was still easy to follow and understand the plot. I liked the smooth flow of events, and how they are all linked together.

-o-

I indeed enjoyed reading Steelheart! Not only do I want to read the next books in the trilogy, but I also want to read the other books of the author!

If you're a fan of sci-fi and action, I definitely recommend Steelheart.






Brandon Sanderson is the author of the internationally bestselling Mistborn trilogy, and he was chosen to complete Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series. His books have been published in more than twenty-five languages and have sold millions of copies worldwide. He lives and writes in Utah. To learn more about Brandon and his books, visit him at brandonsanderson.com (source: book's inside back cover).