The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2) by Patrick Ness: Book Review

Title: The Ask and the Answer
Author: Patrick Ness
Series: Chaos Walking
Publication details: May 4th 2009 by Walker Books Ltd.
Genre: YA, science fiction, fantasy



We were in the square, in the square where I'd run, holding her, carrying her, telling her to stay alive, stay alive till we got safe, till we got to Haven so I could save her - But there weren't no safety, no safety at all, there was just him and his men...

Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode...

"The Ask and the Answer" is a tense, shocking and deeply moving novel of resistance under the most extreme pressure. This is the second title in the "Chaos Walking" trilogy.

The adventures of Todd and Viola in finding the truth and freedom continues with The Ask and the Answer.

Plot
The story started where The Knife of Never Letting Go left off so it was a good reading transition for me (even though I picked the second book X months after I finished the first one lol). Like in the first book, I had a good time reading The Ask and the Answer. It's action-packed, intriguing, and no dragging parts.

There are quite a number of plot elements. But they're not overwhelming. Each element contributes to the whole story, so they are not competing against each other.

I also liked how I am also as uncertain as the main characters on who to trust. It made my reading more enjoyable since I was able to relate to the characters in that aspect.

The ending was quite unpredictable though I kind of expected some of the events. But still it was an exhilarating one. And I am excited to read Monsters of Men next!

Characters
The characters are three-dimensional, even the secondary ones, making them relatable in a way. The author was able to put into the characters the nature of human and our society in real life, which definitely is a plus in my reading experience.

I also did not expect to like the dynamics between Davy and Todd. But I did. It was interesting to read about them. It's very easy to dislike Davy in the first book, but reading more of him in this one, made me understand him better.

The Spackle is also explored more in the book, but I'm looking forward to a more major role in the last book. Aside from the Spackles, there are also new characters to explore. And I'm interested to know how they will affect the main characters in the last book.

Writing
Like what I've mentioned in my The Knife of Never Letting Go review, I liked the writing style of the author. I think he was able to weave the plot elements together seamlessly, as well as inject some social commentaries. The flow of the story is also smooth. It is easy to follow and understand.

-o-

Overall, The Ask and the Answer is a good read. It's not only entertaining but it also says a lot about humanity- our nature and tendencies.

If you are up for a refreshing, sci-fi read, I definitely recommend The Chaos Walking trilogy!


Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Costa Children’s Book Award. Born in Virginia, he currently lives in London (Goodreads).