3-2019 Book Haul: 40th Manila International Book Fair

Hi folks!

Third quarter of 2019, done! I feel like I mention this all the time, but time surely flies fast. We are now at the last quarter of 2019! Of course, I still have not ticked off many of my 2019 goals. But life's fun. Haha!

Anyway, as mentioned in my previous post, I did buy some books (of course!) during the Manila International Book Fair. It was a difficult time for self-control but book-buying is just therapeutic, right? Right! 😁

Most of the books below were from the book fair, but I also bought a few in July and August. And then there are those non-MIBF books I bought in September. Haha! Without further ado, let's see what I bought.


First, these are the books I bought in July. I bought them from a BOOKSALE branch so they are secondhand books, but still in good condition.

I have actually read them already. The Walled City is an okay read. The premise and some of the plot elements are refreshing. However, I was just not 100% amazed by it. I hope I can write a detailed review in the future. *stares at my backlogs* 😏

The Kite Runner, however, is a 4.5- to 5-star read for me. I have been seeing a lot of copies in BOOKSALE branches but I did not think the book was for me. Buuuut, when I asked for a 'heart-wrenching' book recommendation, something to make me cry, I was instantly recommended this. And folks, it did deliver. Aaaah, I will review this soon.


Moving on, these are the books I bought in August. I think National Book Store was having another sale (I cannot remember the name). And so, being a strong, independent woman with little self-control, I went and checked them out. I bought both at 50% discount! 😁

I am still not happy about the cover change of the An Ember in the Ashes trilogy. But I am glad I finally have the third book- A Reaper at the Gates. I have read the first two books, and I am intrigued how things will work out for the main characters. Things got a little bit weird in the ending of the second book, but regardless I am excited to read this book!

For the Bridge of Clay, I have no idea what the book is about. But: 1) It was on sale. 2) It is hard-cover. 3) The author is Markus Zusak. Presented with those three arguments, I don't think there's much up for debate. And so, I bought it. Haha!


Now, now, my Manila International Book Fair haul. I bought these from Fully Booked, except for the Our Daily Bread (ODB) devotional book which I bought from the ODB booth. I am really into fantasy at the moment, so most of the books I bought are fantasy.

Other genres: I bought War Storm by Victoria Aveyard. I have read the previous books, and I am excited to finally finish the series. Things got more and more complicated for the main characters, so it is intriguing how the author will tie everything in the end.

Since I am always on the lookout for war historical fiction, I grabbed The Tattooist of Auschwitz when I saw it on the shelf. I have also heard good things about the book, so even if it was not on my list, I still bought it. 😁


These are the fantasy books I bought: The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski, Red Sister by Mark Lawrence, and the first two books in The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

I am very excited to dive into these worlds, and experience numerous of adventures. I just started reading The Last Wish, and I think I need to buy the rest of the books soon. Aaaaah!



I only bought the year 2020 edition of Our Daily Bread, but since I was one of the first 40 customers, I also got freebies. Yey! I gave the Filipino version and some of the mini editions to my mama. The rest, I will be using for my Bible study/devotion. 😁 I was also so close to buying their notebook, but I stopped myself. Haha!


Well, National Book Store had another sale. And I just could not let it pass. I went on the fourth day, I think, so I was hoping all the good books are gone. But lo and behold, I still managed to find three books! Haha!

I have read the other duology (The Wrath and the Dawn, and The Rose and the Dagger) by RenΓ©e Ahdieh, and quite liked them both. Thus when I saw Flame in the Mist (Php 100) and Smoke in the Sun (Php 200), another duology, I decided to get them. This duology, I believe, is a retelling of Mulan? I am not 100% sure, but I am all for it regardless. Haha!

Elizabeth Wein is another favorite author. I have read her Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire. So seeing The Pearl Thief (Php 100), I immediately grabbed it. The Pearl Thief is the prequel of Code Name Verity. 😁


Last but not the least, another find in BOOKSALE. I couldn't believe my luck when I saw A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman. It is secondhand, and the cover is quite creased, but otherwise it is still in good condition. I frequently hear this book being recommended in the What Should I Read Next? podcast, so I bought it. 😁



Aaaah yes, I have again added more books to my TBR pile. I need to step up my reading game! Haha! Also, I will have to rearrange my book shelves soon because they are a mess right now.

I will also continue selling some of my books! I just need to force myself out of this laziness, and take pictures of my unhauled books. Haha! PS, I am selling on Carousell. My account/shop's name is: @aizelmacaldo πŸ˜‰

-o-

That's all folks for my third quarter book haul! How about you? Any good finds?

Happy reading!