2020 Book Releases to Check Out

Hi folks! How's 2020 so far? I hope you are all having a blast!

With new year comes new book releases. And I know a lot of book lovers are anticipating most of them. For some reason, I don't read/buy new releases, but this year I want to actively read some. And so, I browsed through the various lists on the internet to know which of them I want to check out this year. And oh dear, I hope I will get to them. 😁

Here are the ones I'm interested in:


Title: Chosen Ones (The Chosen Ones #1)
Author: Veronica Roth
Publication Details: 7 April 2020 by John Joseph Adams/Houghton Mifflin

My Thoughts: Chosen Ones is the first novel written for an adult audience by Veronica Roth. It follows Sloane as she navigates her life after saving the world. She is one of the five teenagers who defeated the Dark One. However, ten years later one of the five was killed, and to their horror, discovered that the Dark One is never really gone.

The previous YA duology by the author is just a so-so for me. However, the premise of Chosen Ones is interesting. I think it will be a refreshing, page-turning read. And I am really hoping I'll get to this one upon its release. 😁

For complete the synopsis: GOODREADS



Title: The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice #1)
Author: Mark Lawrence
Publication Details: 30 April 2020 by Harper Voyager

My Thoughts: I just skimmed through the synopsis because I want the plot to be a 'semi-surprise'. But from what I read, the book is set in Abeth, which is the world of the Ancestor trilogy! Yaaas! But this time, we are following a different character from a different place or sector. 😁

Personally, I don't really know much about Abeth because I just read the Red Sister (and really liked it). But nevertheless, I want mooooore! I will surely read this book!

For the complete synopsis: GOODREADS




Title: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication Details: 19 May 2020 by Scholastic Press

My Thoughts: Another Hunger Games novel! I don't know about you, but I am excited to read about this world again.

As I understand, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes will focus on the events before the start of The Hunger Games- perhaps the lives of the people, how the game was built, what prompted it, etc. Perhaps, we will also read about the previous tributes and their challenges. Aaaah! I don't really know, but I want to read this book! 😁

For the synopsis: GOODREADS




Title: The Paper Girl of Paris
Author: Jordyn Taylor
Publication Details: 26 May 2020 by HarperTeen

My Thoughts: The Paper Girl of Paris has two time frames- the modern Paris and the occupied Paris during the World War II. In the modern time, the story follows Alice as she uncovers the truth about her grandmother and the abandoned apartment in Paris. While in the past setting, the story follows Adalyn as she survives the difficult life in occupied Paris.

I am not really sure how things will unfold, or whose perspective will be focused on, but I am intrigued. I am hoping this will be beautifully written and will give a refreshing take to the war historical fiction genre. And again, I do hope I will be able to read this soon.

For the complete synopsis: GOODREADS



Title: Empire of the Vampire
Author: Jay Kristoff
Illustrator: Nan Fe
Publication Details: 3 September 2020 by Harper Voyager

My Thoughts: I have not really read a Jay Kristoff novel aside from the Illuminae files he co-authored with Amie Kaufman. But this year, I am planning to read Nevernight, and then hopefully this one.

Reading the synopsis on Goodreads, I am not sure what time frame the story will focus on. But Empire of the Vampire seems like a dark, adventure story that will follow Gabriel (probably the main character or one of the main characters?) who will fight, or at least try, to end the empire of the vampires. It is an interesting premise. And besides, it's been a while since I read a book about vampires so I put this on my list. Also, I believe Empire of the Vampire is an illustrated novel. So yey!

For the complete synopsis: GOODREADS

-o-

Aside from the above-mentioned books, I am also looking forward to the following book releases. However, I have not yet read their respective first books but they are on my TBR.
  • Aurora Burning (The Aurora Cycle #2) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (Expected date of publication: 5 May 2020)
  • The Stormlight Archive #4 by Brandon Sanderson (Expected date of publication: 17 November 2020)
I am planning to read their first books this year. Let's all wish I will actually read them. Haha!

-o-

That's all folks for the 2020 books releases I am interested to read this year. There are still unannounced book releases throughout 2020, and I can't wait to know more about them! I am sure our TBRs will pile up again. But who cares? 😁

Happy reading folks!



(all book covers: Goodreads)