Gone Series by Michael Grant: Series Review

Series Title: Gone
Books in the series: Gone, Hunger, Lies, Plague, Fear, Light
Author: Michael Grant
Genre: Science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, supernatural
After five years, I finally finished reading the Gone series by Michael Grant. I read Gone in 2015, Hunger in 2016, Lies in 2017, Plague in 2019, and then Fear and Light in May 2020. I did not know it would take me a while to finish but finally I did!

But regardless, it was quite a reading experience to have known and followed the main characters to the end, to see how the characters grew and developed, and to see how the plot threads are tied in the end.

The Gone series is about a group or community of teenagers when one day all the adults and teens (16 years and up) suddenly disappear, and a translucent barrier formed around an area of fictional California- which the kids eventually called The FAYZ. We follow these kids as they try to figure out what caused the barrier and possible ways to end it, to try to implement a sense of order, but mostly to survive, with dwindling food supplies, and with all the weird, messed up, evil things that kept on happening.
Speaking of weird and messed up, there are quite a lot in this book, so beware of trigger warnings, example, for drug abuse, suicide, cruelty, violence. I cannot clearly remember the specifics, but readers should be aware that some scenes are disturbing.

I am not sure how I will categorize the series. It's a mix of mystery, fantasy and sci-fi, probably paranormal or supernatural? But it isn't heavy on technical terms and the plot is generally easy to follow and understand. And then we have, as I have mentioned, the disturbing things.

As with other Michael Grant books, Gone series has a lot of characters so you might want to take down notes for reference. I liked how the author writes his characters as three-dimensional and somehow easy to relate to. Another trademark of the author's writing style is he is not hesitant to kill off characters. I have only read 3 more books (BZRK 1 & 2 and Front Lines) of the author outside this series, but man, you will just never know what will happen! Michael Grant has this way of introducing you to a character, giving you his/her back story, and then the next you read about is his/her demise. 👀

Another thing I liked about the series is its unpredictability. I find myself intrigued about that next weird major plot element, or that next trouble they will have to face. It really added thrill and intrigue to my reading experience.

Overall, I think I will rate the whole series a 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the books. It was entertaining for me, and quite refreshing too.

Finally, I will definitely recommend the Gone series, especially if you don't mind the messed up stuff. I'd say that this is a great start if you want to ease in to Stephen King-ish books? But honestly, I just read one book of Stephen King (The Stand) so I don't really know. (I have his other books though and I will read them soon. 😁)

That's it for this series review! Michael Grant is my auto-buy author so I can't wait to read more of his works. There is actually another series following the events of Gone series so I am looking forward to reading those books as well. And also I have yet to finish the BZRK and Front Lines trilogy, but I will surely get to that.

That's all folks! Happy reading!