The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1) by Brandon Sanderson: Book Review

Title: The Way of Kings
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: The Stormlight Archive #1
Genre: Fantasy, epic fantasy

I long for the days before the Last Desolation. Before the Heralds abandoned us and the Knights Radiant turned against us. When there was still magic in Roshar and honor in the hearts of men.

In the end, not war but victory proved the greater test. Did our foes see that the harder they fought, the fiercer our resistance? Fire and hammer forge a sword; time and neglect rust it away. So we won the world, yet lost it.

Now there are four whom we watch: the surgeon, forced to forsake healing and fight in the most brutal war of our time; the assassin, who weeps as he kills; the liar, who wears her scholar's mantle over a thief's heart; and the prince, whose eyes open to the ancient past as his thirst for battle wanes.

One of them may redeem us. One of them will destroy us.

I tried writing a thorough review of The Way of Kings, but I had a hard time organizing my thoughts and putting words to how I feel about this book. One thing's for sure though, Brandon Sanderson is officially in my auto-buy author list.

It was only last year that I started getting into adult fantasy, so I have nothing much to compare The Way of Kings to. As for the author's other books, I have only read the Mistborn trilogy and the first two books in The Reckoners trilogy. But wow! I was amazed yet again by the world-building, characters, plot development and writing style!

The Way of Kings begins with intrigue and mystery as the author introduces the characters and the world. There are multiple characters and so we get to explore the world and piece the plot together from these characters. I liked how the author reveals the plot threads slowly and with just enough details to understand what is happening, but not in a dragging way. It felt satisfying and amazing when some pieces are just clicking together for both characters and plot. I was exploring and learning with the characters so it was really an engrossing read.

In terms of epic fantasy tropes, it may seem like it follows the traditional fantasy path. And yes, we do have the usual tropes but Brandon Sanderson made a lot of twists to these fantasy elements that made The Way of Kings a refreshing read (for me at least).

Another thing I like is the vast world. The history, the cultures, the people, the races- they are so rich and diverse, and something I look forward to knowing more of. I would like to know in the next books (I heard there will be 10 books in this series!) how these rich, varying cultures will play in the development of the plot, as well as how they will affect the main characters. Aaaaah there's just so much to explore in this world and I am so excited to read more of it!

The main characters are all well written and are interesting to read about. They are three-dimensional, relatable and thankfully, not annoying. Since The Way of Kings is just the first book in the series, they are still raw and unsure of things. Thus, I am excited to know how the main characters will fulfill their tasks and fates and how they will develop as the story progresses.

The secondary characters are also interesting and worth looking forward to! I feel like none of the characters will be wasted. And each has his/her own intrigue and contribution to the plot and effect to the main characters. Ah! I am just so excited, I hope Brandon Sanderson will write the other books fast. Haha!

Speaking of writing the books fast, another reason for this is the ending. Brandon Sanderson has this signature style of ending his books that makes you crave for the continuation of the story. I am also intrigued how he will tie up The Stormlight Archive books. I am sure it will have satisfying ending!

So folks, if you are a fantasy reader and haven't read Brandon Sanderson yet, then go now and read his works! You'll love them!