Mutiny on the Bounty by John Boyne: Book Review

Title: Mutiny on the Bounty
Author: John Boyne
Publication details: May 7th 2009 by Black Swan (first published 2008)
Genre: Historical fiction
Pickpocket John Jacob Turnstile is on his way to be detained at His Majesty's Pleasure when he is offered a lifeline, what seems like a freedom of sorts - the job of personal valet to a departing naval captain. Little does he realise that it is anything but - and by accepting the devil's bargain he will put his life in perilous danger. For the ship is HMS Bounty, his new captain William Bligh and their destination Tahiti.

From the moment the ship leaves port, Turnstile's life is turned upside down, for not only must he put his own demons to rest, but he must also confront the many adversaries he will encounter on the Bounty's extraordinary last voyage. Walking a dangerous line between an unhappy crew and a captain he comes to admire, he finds himself in a no-man's land where the distinction between friend and foe is increasingly difficult to determine... (Source: From the back cover)

I first saw Mutiny on the Bounty at a used bookstore. The premise isn't really my cup of tea and it's not something I would usually read. But since I liked The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, I went ahead and bought the book. I guess John Boyne is one of auto-buy authors now eh? 😁

I am not sure if I have already read something set in the 1780s and I have zero knowledge about ships, voyages and even the history that inspired the book. However, despite these and some technical term difficulties, I still have an enjoyable reading experience.

The story opens with the usual introduction of our main character, his "trade" and a little of his background. We get to see how he came about being onboard and from there follows his journey with the captain, the officers and the rest of the crew toward Otaheite.

It was quite an entertaining read. I did not know what to expect and how the story will go. It was quite refreshing to be able to experience the voyage through Turnstile's eyes (the main character), to be a witness to the politics between officers, to somehow see the then-'newly explored' land, and just be a part of their fateful journey.

There were difficult events and topics, and sad moments too. However, in general, my reading experience did not feel heavy because of how the story was narrated- laced with humor. The main character was able to narrate his story in a light manner but nevertheless was still able to stir up emotions. Note though that Mutiny on the Bounty isn't a middle-grade book since it contains sexual themes and violence.

As I have mentioned, there were some difficulties understanding the setting and terms because I am unfamiliar with them. And while it did not significantly hinder my reading experience, I had difficult time relating to the sentiments of the men onboard. The secondary characters' backgrounds were not really explored in depth so I was not able to understand their situation. However, I did root for some of the secondary characters and was curious to a couple of them after the big incident happened. Unfortunately, the book provided little resolution in that part. But perhaps, if I read this after knowing what really happened in history, I would be more satisfied with what was presented in the book.

Regardless, I think the author was able to tie the major loose threads, albeit hasty. The ending was satisfactory in general but I somehow felt like it was rushed. Still, it is bittersweet and it left me wishing all the best for the main character.

Overall, Mutiny on the Bounty is a good read. Since it is my first time to read a voyage story set in the 1780s, it was fascinating to explore such setting and I will definitely look for other stories in that category (and of course, the real mutiny on the bounty! 😁). And lastly, I will definitely read John Boyne's other works. I actually have 2 more of his on my shelves.