What My Year Was: 2020

As mentioned in my previous post, 2020 was a crazy year. A lot has happened, from Taal volcano eruption (here in the Philippines) to COVID-19, typhoons, and the chaotic government, it was a roller coaster of events and emotions. I definitely had a fair share of ups and downs, mountains and valleys. Again, crazy year.

Still, I want to review my 2020 and focus on some positive things. God has been with me and blessed me throughout this year. So let me recap the highlights of my 2020. Most of them are small wins, but still wins nonetheless.
  • MT. DARAITAN AND TINIPAK RIVER HIKE
  • BIG BAD WOLF BOOK FAIR
  • CAMAYA COAST WITH HIGH SCHOOL FRIENDS
  • JAPAN TRAVEL - OSAKA, NARA, KYOTO, KOBE, MIE
  • BOUGHT MY FIRST JOURNALING BIBLE
  • BIBLE STUDY DURING THE WEEKENDS
  • STARTED MY CREATIVE FAITH JOURNAL
  • STARTED A PRAYER JOURNAL
  • RIVERFRONT GARDEN RESORT AFTER 7 MONTHS OF LOCK DOWN
  • MT. KALISUNGAN HIKE AFTER MONTHS OF LOCK DOWN
  • STARTED CROCHETING
  • COMPLETED MY EMERGENCY FUND
  • BOUGHT IKEA DESK AND CHAIR FOR MY HOME OFFICE NOOK
  • STARTED HAVING A FAITH JOURNAL
  • BOUGHT AN IPL HAIR REMOVAL DEVICE
  • CLEARER AND HEALTHIER SKIN
  • READ 22 BOOKS
  • BOUGHT A CART FOR MY TBR BOOKS
  • STARTED READING MANGA
And lastly, surviving 2020. I listed my wins but really, most of my free time were spent on YouTube and Shopee. Coping. Escaping. So surviving this year is definitely a big win!

2020 was a year to remember. (Need I say crazy again?) It definitely opened our eyes to certain realizations, made us more grateful to little things, things we often take for granted. So here, folks, are some of the lessons, reminders and realizations I got from this year:
  • Nothing in this world is ever certain. You can plan all you want, but if things are not meant to be, they are not meant to be. I learned to let go of things that are not according to God's will. I learned to trust God, to trust the best future He has for me.
  • It's still okay to plan and think of the future, but remember to surrender everything to God.
  • Prayer is powerful.
  • Be grateful in anything.
  • Focus on your purpose- to glorify and love God above all else. Do not seek success and happiness in this world, in material things and in the validation of others. At the end of the day, we will only answer to God. True joy and peace can only be found in Jesus.
  • Love more. It's a long journey ahead and probably a challenging one, but love is important. Love more. And if you feel empty, feel incapable of loving, ask God for His unending supply. He will surely replenish you and bless you.
  • Silence. Sometimes, knowing when to be silent is important.
  • Be informed but know when to turn it off. When information and news are deafening, when they feel suffocating and they start affecting your emotions, it's okay to turn them off for a while. Rest for a while. And pray.
I still have a few lessons that I would like to keep private. But surely, I will put them in my head and remember them in the future- for me to move forward, for me to go wherever I am meant to be.

Highlights, lessons, worries - they make up my 2020. No matter how crazy things have been, I am still thankful for the blessings. And if there's one thing I am most grateful for, it is the time I spent with God through my faith and prayer journaling and Bible study. Without Him, I don't know where I would be. I learned a lot and was reminded of God's sovereignty. I was reminded to trust God over and over again despite the uncertainties and fear. It's amazing how God works. And I should always remember that I am His daughter and He will not forsake me. He is love. He is my refuge.

So yes, 2020 may be awful. 2021 is blurry. But still, I know God is with me, through His Son, my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His peace, love and strength sustain me. And I am ready. Ready for another set of blessings, highlights and lessons. Ready for 2021.