Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ by Carol Wallace: Book Review

Title: Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
Author: Carol Wallace
Publication details: July 19th 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers
Genre: Historical fiction, uly 19th 2016 by Tyndale House Publishers Christian
As one of the bestselling stories of all time, Lew Wallace's Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ has captivated and enthralled millions around the world- both in print and on the big screen. Now Lew's great-great-granddaughter has taken the old-fashioned prose of this classic novel and breathed new life into it for today's audience.

The story follows Judah Ben-Hur, a Jewish nobleman whose childhood friend Messala betrays him. Accused of trying to murder the new Roman governor in Jerusalem, Judah is sentenced to the galley ships and vows to seek revenge against the Romans and Messala. But a chance encounter with a carpenter from Nazareth sets Judah on a different path.

Note: I have only read this updated version of Ben-Hur. I have not read the original version yet nor I have seen the movie. And so there will be no comparison in this review, and I will only share my thoughts about this version of Ben-Hur.

I bought this book at a secondhand bookshop and I cannot remember why I did so. I'm not sure if someone mentioned it to me or if I saw it being recommended on YouTube. But anyhow, I am glad I read this book.

I think this is my first historical fiction set in the time of Jesus. And while I am quite familiar with the setting and the life of Jews during the Roman empire (thru the Bible), it's still refreshing to 'experience' that period of time in the eyes of someone outside the Bible. I find it interesting to read about Judah's story and what it's like to be a witness to Jesus' ministry life. It made me think how amazing it would be if I did live in the time of Jesus and be in His presence.

The book follows Judah Ben-Hur, our main character, from the time he was falsely accused of attempting to murder a Roman governor to his sentence to the galley ship and to his vow for revenge. We follow Judah as he encounters pivots in his life that would ultimately set his path toward forgiveness and Jesus Christ.

The book covers many years and a lot has happened in the book. However, I don't think there are dragging parts and I think all the events are relevant to the plot and the main character developments. It is also fascinating how the author (the original author) was able to incorporate some stories in the Bible. Those stories made the book more relatable and easier to follow, and my reading experience more enjoyable.

One thing I am a tiny bit disappointed about is how the forgiveness theme did not give a strong impact- Ben-Hur's realization of Jesus' saving power, forgiveness and His Kingdom. I wish there are more scenes about it, since forgiveness is one of the major themes. And I was actually looking forward to reading more about Jesus, and hoping for more interactions between Jesus and Judah. Though the ending gives resolution and hope, the way it was told seemed hurried. But nevertheless, Jesus' impact on the lives of Ben-Hur and the early Christians are amazing to read about.

Characters
Aside from the main character, Judah, I also liked the secondary characters- especially Simonides, Malluch and Esther (I was really rooting for her). I also liked the fictional story of Balthasar and how the ending gives a good resolution to his journey. In general, I think the characters are well-written and contributed to the plot and main character's development.

Writing
Written in an omniscient, third person perspective, it was easy for me to understand the characters and follow their stories. As I mentioned, the original author incorporated Bible stories which added to my good reading experience. I also liked that there are movie stills in the book so it was easy for me to picture them in my head.
Overall, I really enjoyed reading Ben-Hur. There was resolution in the end and it made me think how the early Christians lived after Jesus' death and resurrection, and how their faith moved and scattered throughout the world.

If you are looking for a Christian historical fiction that is quite an easy read. I suggest reading this adapted version of Ben-Hur. I am also thinking of reading the original work. But we'll see about that. 😁