Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant: Book Review

Title: Messenger of Fear
Author: Michael Grant
Genre: August 26th 2014 by Electric Monkey
Publication details: YA, fantasy, supernatural


Michael Grant is one of my auto-buy authors, so I went ahead and bought Messenger of Fear even without knowing the plot. It was quite different from what I expected (based on the title) but it was an interesting read nevertheless. Here is a short review in bullets:
  • The book deals with hard topics like bullying, self-harm, suicide. Hence, readers should proceed with caution.
  • The story is set in the contemporary world, but somewhat in a different dimension.
  • At first, I found it confusing and intriguing. As the story progresses though, I was able to predict some plot elements. Still it was an okay reading experience.
  • It's somehow different from the author's writing style I am accustomed with. The plot is also not what I expected which affected my rating. (I was expecting quite an action-packed, character-bombarded story.)
  • But sans that, I think the author was still able to deliver the message of the story clearly and directly.
  • The book is a short, poignant read.
  • Messenger of Fear reminds readers that there's more to a person than meets the eye, that we do not know the battle he/she is facing, and so we must treat each other kindly.
  • It also reminds readers that our actions, regardless if it is small or big, affect someone whether we intend to or not. And thus, be mindful. Be kind.
  • Seek professional help. Sometimes family and friends will not be able to help for various reasons. And there is social stigma with speaking up and/or seeking help for mental and emotional health. But help is available. Don't mind what others think. It's your life, not theirs.

Overall, Messenger of Fear is an okay read. It's not what I expected but still I had a good reading experience. I would recommend The Messenger of Fear as a "palate-cleanser", especially if you are mostly reading fantasy/science-fiction and want something short but impactful between hefty books.