Fiction for Non-avid Readers: Book Recommendations

Hi folks! How's your 2019 so far? I hope you are all doing well.

I have already posted a couple of book recommendations here and here, but I figured I'll add more. And this time for non-avid readers.

I may not be a total expert in book recommendations, but I think I can still give some advice. My key here is to recommend a short book with smooth flow. Depending on the person, it can have an inspiring tone or a fast-paced, action-packed one. And most definitely, it has to be an easy read with no difficult topic or too many technical terms.


The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
I have actually only read this book in 2018 and I really liked it.

Among the books in the series, I am recommending this second one because even without reading the first book, the plot is easy to follow and understand. It also has interesting characters and lessons that readers can easily pick up.

I think Christian readers will especially enjoy this book because it is a fable of what Jesus did on the Cross for us, and how insufficient we are by ourselves, but with Christ we will be victorious.

The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom
This is one of my favorite books because the topic is something I really value- time.

The Time Keeper is a short and inspiring read. It really reminded me of the importance of living life with purpose and a grateful heart. The sequence of events may be quite confusing in the beginning, but as you read along it will get clearer and the plot will be easier to follow.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne
Though most of war historical fiction are told in adult perspective, and they tend to have complicated historical and technical terms/information, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is an exception because it is not only a short one, but is also told in a boy's perspective.

Though a quick read, the story is still deep with meaning. It is very moving and beautifully written. The events are easy to follow and understand even if you are not very familiar with war history.

Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
I read this book when I was just a newbie reader, but I remember enjoying it. Percy Jackson is really entertaining and the characters are fun to read.

If you want a plot-driven, adventure type read, especially ones about Greek mythology, I think this first book in the Percy Jackson series will be suitable.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling
Another adventure read! I read this when I was in 6th grade, and I wasn't an avid reader then. But again, I really, really enjoyed Harry Potter. The plot elements, the characters, the pacing and the flow are just easy and fun to read.

-o-

I still have a lot of books to recommend, but I'm thinking of turning this into a series. Stay tuned!

Have you read any of these books? What do you think? Will you recommend them too? 😁