Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking Trilogy #3) by Patrick Ness: Book Review

Title: Monsters of Men
Author: Patrick Ness
Series: Chaos Walking trilogy
Publication details: October 1st 2010 by Walker & Company (first published May 3rd 2010)



The concluding book in the Chaos Walking trilogy.

Plot
The third book started immediately where The Ask and the Answer left off, so it was not difficult to recall the preceding events. I was quite rusty though with minor characters since it's been a while since I read the first two books. Thankfully, I still had a good reading experience.

The beginning of the book is intense, and it kind of set my reading mood. Monsters of Men is quite action-packed, with a lot of things happening and a lot of revelations. Some might be overwhelmed but I personally enjoyed it.

The pacing varies but it is generally fast-paced. There are no dragging parts for me, and I enjoyed reading the whole book. I think I could have read this in one sitting if only I wasn't busy. Haha!

The ending was a teeny bit open but a hopeful one (I believe). But even with an open ending, there are still resolutions to the conflicts. I think the author was able to carefully tie the loose ends and at the same time give the readers something to think or hope about.

What I really liked about Monsters of Men, and in the whole trilogy actually, is how it reflects a part of humanity, of society. I liked how I was able to connect the plot elements and characters to what is happening in the real world. It definitely added points to my already good reading experience.

Characters
The characters are all three-dimensional. First for the main characters, I liked their character developments over time. They are flawed, yes, but that what makes them more relatable. I liked how I was able to see their own personal struggles in keeping their biases versus doing what is right for the people.

I also liked how I was able to see more of the "antagonists". The changes in them and their own struggles are something worth noting. (It's really hard to review without spoiling anything. Haha!)

There are other notable secondary characters as well. And likewise, I liked their character arcs, and how they were able to contribute to the main characters' development and especially, to the plot development.

Writing
I liked the writing style of the author in this trilogy. Specifically for Monsters of Men, I liked how he was able to sustain interest and entertainment without having information/plot element overload (at least for me, lol). The flow between scenes and plot points is seamless. And I did not have a hard time understanding the story.

-o-

Overall, I liked how things are concluded in Monsters of Men. 🙌 The whole trilogy is worthy of its hype as it is not only about adventure, but it also reaffirms a lot about humanity. Let me also mention how refreshing the whole trilogy is. The plot elements are unique and they are woven together to create an entertaining yet on point story.


My review of the first two books: